Thursday, March 7, 2024

The Start of a Greenhouse

 Hey mini friends!

I had thought about making the windows for the greenhouse myself, but that would've had me in a straitjacket. Instead, I opted for purchasing ready-made windows and decided to make the doors from scratch. I also got some shutters to make shelves with

                                    

                                

I did a little dry fit just to get an idea of size and how things would look placed inside. It turned out a bit shallower than intended, but we're going with it. 

I gave everything a base color of brown with splatters of turquoise here and there. I figured it would show through after I did some aging and sanding. I should have added another color (or two) just to give it that "re-painted over the years" look since they're supposed to be old windows. 


And because this thing isn't going to magically put itself together, we got the mini tools out. 


I have to say I'm pretty proud of these doors. I've never done anything like it. I thought they would be harder to build because well...my math never maths. LOL Surprisingly though, I got all my measurements right and even the cuts were accurate. Pretty sure it's because I mentally prepared myself, gave myself several pep talks, and dressed myself with tons and tons of patience, AND measured once, twice and then some more. 


The hinges though! The hinges!!! That was another story. I wanted them to be like real life hinges and so I had to create mortises (had to look that word up). One door went quite smoothly much to my surprise. But the other...the other!!! Ooh, she was feisty! I can't tell you how many times I had to glue one of those hinges. I lost count. I glued them all with a bit of super glue and then inserted the ever so tiny nails. But one of those hinges just would NOT cooperate. Every time I'd close the doors that one hinge just threw everything off, including itself. 

I had to do a lot of tweaking and sanding but in the end, we have two functional doors. I have to be very careful with one of them but alas, they work! LOL 

This pic is not of said troublesome hinge. I wanted to show you a pretty one. 😜


And because like I said, I'm really proud of these doors here's another pic for ya'. I still need to add door handles/ knobs. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. I just haven't found any that I feel would fit with the look. I want something kind of girly and vintage-y looking.


Thank you for stopping by mini friends. I hope you all have an amazing weekend! 

Big mini hugs,
Iris =)













No comments:

Post a Comment