Monday, August 11, 2014

Update on Romeo...

After visiting the veterinary dermatologist this past Friday, Romeo was visually diagnosed with vasculitis. A biopsy can be done to attempt to confirm this diagnosis, but I can't afford it. 

Another issue is that in doing the biopsy he will lose a significant piece of his ears. Since they have significant deterioration, they would have to, not only take the affected area, but a little of the surrounding as well. He would also lose an entire paw pad wherever the biopsy is done, again, because of the same reason. See, Romeo is a very small dog. He only weighs three pounds. He has a tiny body.

The dermatologist said that the vasculitis may have been caused by his annual vaccinations. It seems that in small dogs the body over-reacts to their vaccines and the result causes blockage of tiny blood vessels resulting in ulceration and death of tissue, which is what Romeo currently has on his ears, wrists, paw pads and tip of his tail. 

I've decided to start treatment to try and cure the ulcerations, swelling and irritations. They may or may not work. It will be trial and error depending upon how he reacts to the medications. The dermatologist has started him off on three. One of the medications alone is $260. Because Romeo is so small the meds need to be compounded and this will take a few days. I went ahead and had the pharmacist do it, but at this point I still don't know how I will pay for them. If these medications do not work, they will change them to stronger immune suppressants. 

I was able to take him to the dermatologist visit thanks to the donations I received on GoFundMe.com and donations made by my sisters co-workers. In total, $200 was raised. 

I will no longer be able to vaccinate Romeo. If I do so, the reaction can start all over again and may be worse next time. I'll have to get his blood drawn for antibody titers to ensure that he is still protected from those viruses. 

His treatment will be continuos until he can be completely healed and it will be pricey. The only reason I resorted to the GoFundMe.com website is because I honestly cannot afford the costs. If you know of someone that can donate $1 or more please please share his link: http://www.gofundme.com/c8gy4o via Facebook, Twitter, Email or through any other social media. I really need the help to keep his condition from getting worse.

Thank you for anything you can do. I sincerely appreciate it.

This is what Romeo's ears look like:

He also has to wear booties until his paws completely heal.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my Romeo's condition.
I hope you are all having a beautiful week!   =)

No comments:

Post a Comment